Juliet, her fiancée and father of her children, and their twins were living doubled up with a family member and were facing homelessness because of the conditions of the house.
The twins had just been diagnosed with autism and were found to be ingesting paint chips in the home. They had such elevated lead levels that they required hospitalization. When the twins completed the intravenous course of treatment, they did not have a safe home to return to. MetroHealth System referred the family to Providence House as part of the discharge plan from the hospital. We were able to coordinate an intake with the family for immediate placement upon hospital discharge. While at Providence House, the children were given their medication as prescribed to continue to reduce their lead levels, they were assessed for special education services, and they maintained all lead clinic and primary care appointments. Referrals were also made for Help Me Grow and the Achievement Centers for support for their development. The LPN staff provided education to the parents on lead poisoning and social work staff assisted in getting grant support for the family to receive lead abatement support. Social workers assisted the family in locating a new rental property in a local suburb that was inspected and certified to be lead free. During the twins 60 day stay in the Pediatric Crisis Nursery, both parents maintained their employment, obtained day care services for the children, and kept custody of their children. They are currently in the 6-month Aftercare program for ongoing support.
If you or a family you know need our help, click here. Back to Stories
Tell Us Your Story
Tell us about your experience at Providence House. We'd love to hear from you.